Alexandria, VA Immigration Attorney

city hall in Alexandria, VAIf you are looking to acquire an immigration visa, or apply for an immigration waiver, Johnson & Masumi, P.C. can help. Our immigration law firm is dedicated to helping families with their immigration rights, serving clients from various countries around the world. Mariam Masumi, our principal Alexandria, VA immigration attorney, has served numerous immigrants with visa applications to help them realize their dreams of touring, residing, and working in the United States. The core beliefs at Johnson & Masumi, P.C. include providing compassionate and personalized assistance, valuing the ideals of liberty and justice for all immigrants.

Alexandria, VA Immigration Visas

Johnson & Masumi, P.C. practices immigration law in Alexandria, VA for individuals that intend to live in the United States. We assist clients with acquiring immigration visas that pertain to employment, marriage, college study (academic or vocational), and visiting. Foreign nationals can qualify for multiple visas in order to temporarily reside in the United States, and can apply for permanent residence (green card status) during their time of stay. Our Alexandria, VA immigration attorneys will also provide legal counsel for individuals who have been deemed inadmissible to the United States by helping them through the process of acquiring an immigration waiver.

Alexandria, VA Employment Visas

Employment visas allow foreign nationals to apply for residence in Alexandria, VA and secure employment for the duration of their visa. Upon approval of their visa, individuals can convert their resident status to permanent residence through the guidance of their potential employer. Employment visa classes include A visas, EB visas, and the H-1B visa. Each visa has a different set of guidelines for the unique employment needs of different individuals.

A Visas

a business official on an A-1 visa in the US after speaking to an Alexandria, VA immigration attorneyA visas are granted to non-immigrant officials who wish to travel to the United States for work. A visas are divided into three different categories: the A-1 visa, the A-2 visa, and the A-3 visa. A-1 visas are issued to diplomatic officials, public ministers, and consular officials. A-2 visas are awarded to individuals who are accepted by the U.S. Secretary of State, military officers who are not traveling under NATO policy circumstances, as well as their immediate families. A-3 visas are granted to employees, servants, attendants, and family members of those who hold an A-1 or A-2 visa for non-immigrant travel.

EB-1 Visa

EB-1 visas, known as the First Preference Visas, are issued to workers who are considered priority workers. The EB-1A visa is awarded to those recognized for possessing extraordinary abilities and high aptitudes. The EB-1B visa is given to outstanding professors and researchers. The EB-1C visa is awarded to executives and managers of international companies. EB-1 visa holders are granted permanent resident status faster than any other visas.

EB-2 Visa

EB-2 visas allow foreign professionals holding advanced degrees or possessing exceptional abilities in the science, arts, and business fields to live and work in the United States. The EB-2A visa is issued to individuals who hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in these fields. The EB-2B visa is awarded to those with exceptional abilities in one of these fields. The EB-2C visa, otherwise known as the national interest waiver, is given to those whose permanent residency in the U.S. will generate national interest.

EB-3 Visa

EB-3 visas are awarded to skilled workers and professionals in a wider range of careers who are looking to obtain permanent residency. The EB-3 visa falls under three different subcategories: Professional Workers, Skilled Workers, and Unskilled Workers. The Professional Workers subcategory is for individuals who have received a four-year degree. The Skilled Workers subcategory is for those who have received a two-year degree, or at least two years of training and experience. The Unskilled Workers subcategory is for individuals who do not meet the requirements for either of the two previous subcategories.

EB-4 Visa

EB-4 visas, or Special Immigrant visas, are reserved for religious leaders, workers, and occupants. The EB-4 visa allows these individuals to live in the U.S. and work for religious institutions and non-profit faith organizations. Degree-holding professionals qualify for this visa, also known as the Fourth Preference visa, if they intend to work for one of these tax-exempt organizations.

EB-5 Visa

a wealthy investor working in Alexandria, VA on an EB-5 visa acquired through an immigration attorneyEB-5 visas are issued to foreign nationals who wish to invest into an EB-5 Regional Center or a New Common Enterprise. The EB-5 visa is currently the most sought-after employment-based visa by wealthy Indian investors. Individuals who plan to pursue an EB-5 visa issued through the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program must invest a minimum of over $500,000 or $1,000,000. To qualify for green card status, investors are required to create 10 or more full-time jobs for a minimum of two years.

H-1B Visa

H1-B visas are awarded to non-residents who wish to be employed by a domestic organization in the U.S. that holds specialty occupations. Job positions in fields such as architecture, accounting, engineering, mathematics, medicine, science and technology are qualified as specialty occupations. H-1B visa applicants must hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree or a four-year equivalent to be eligible. Since the H-1B visa is a non-immigrant visa, the process of obtaining green card status is expedited through this visa program. Employers seeking to hire these applicants must petition on their behalf for applicants to be granted the H-1B visa. In recent H-1B visa news, however, there is a growing cap on the number of H-1B visa applicants admitted to the U.S. for employment, making this visa more difficult to obtain.

Alexandria, VA Fiancé Visas

K visas, more commonly known as fiancé(e) visas, are given to foreign nationals who intend to marry a U.S. citizen or live with their spouse in Alexandria, VA. Likewise, the children of these visa holders also qualify under K visas. There are four classifications of K visas, which include the K-1, K-2, K-3 and K-4 visa statuses.

K-1 Visa

K-1 visas are issued to foreign national fiancés who plan to travel to the United States to marry a U.S. citizen. The U.S. citizen must act as the petitioner on their behalf, while the fiancé must provide evidence related to their marriage while adhering to K-1 visa restrictions in order to receive a K-1 visa. The fiancé is allotted six months to arrive in the U.S. and must marry the intended spouse and depart the U.S. within 90 days of arrival. Should the foreign fiancé choose to marry someone else, they must return to their home country.

K-2 Visa

K-2 visas are granted to the children of K-1 visa holders to travel to the United States for the marriage. The children are required to be 20 years of age or younger and unmarried, but are not required to be biologically related to their parents. The fiancé(e) parent must give evidence of relationship to their child(ren) as well as evidence that they are able to financially support themselves in addition to their child(ren) during the entirety of their stay in the U.S. K-2 visa holders must follow the same guidelines of arriving in and departing the U.S. as their K-1 parents.

K-3 and K-4 Visa

a US citizen father with his wife and children in the US on K-3 and K-4 visas respectivelyAfter the foreign fiancé(e) has legally married their U.S. citizen spouse, they are eligible to return through K-3 visa status. The U.S. citizen spouse must once again file a petition on their foreign spouse’s behalf in order for them to reside in the United States. The children of the K-3 visa holder are eligible to live in the U.S. with their parents under K-4 visa status. The holders of these visas are able to enter and leave the U.S. multiple times over a two-year period. After the two years, the K-3 and K-4 visa holders are eligible to apply for green card status in order to become closer to naturalization.

Alexandria, VA Student Visas

International students who intend on studying, teaching, or working in Alexandria for an extended period of time are eligible to apply for a student visa. Each student visa has its own separate qualifications and restrictions that must be met for admission to the U.S. There are three categories of students visas: F-1 visa, J-1 visa, and M-1 visa.

F-1 Visa

F-1 visas allow students to enroll in an accredited U.S. institution to study full-time. The F-1 visa allows holders to live and study for the U.S. until they complete their studies. These students are also permitted to work for a U.S. employer for a position that is consistent with their field of study. Students are able to receive Optional Practice Training with the help of a school official. In order to complete their F-1 visa application, international students must file Form I-20, the Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status. They must also attend an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country to discuss their educational plans and present their valid passport.

J-1 Visa

J-1 visas issued via the Exchange Visitor Program for international students who wish to complete their academic degree in the U.S. Students who wish to complete their studies and work full-time in the U.S. upon completion of their degree should apply for J-1 visa status. To be issued a J-1 visa, applicants must prove their residence in their country of origin. They must also provide evidence that they do not plan to abandon their home country and that they are able to return home after completing their studies. Applicants must provide documentation for these claims, as well as file Form DS-2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status.

M-1 Visa

a man learning how to weld through an M-1 visa program in Alexandria, VAM-1 visas are awarded to foreign nationals who wish to enter the U.S. for vocational, non-traditional, or non-academic studies. These visa holders may not be employed during their studies and must be able to support themselves financially while in the U.S. M-1 visa holders must be enrolled in a course of study for a period of 12 semesters (4-6 years). International students may only apply for an M-1 visa if they meet the eligibility requirements for the school they wish to pursue their studies at, in addition to other student visa requirements and documentation.

Alexandria, VA Visitor Visas

B visas are issued to foreign nationals who intend to travel to Alexandria or any other part of the U.S. for business, vacation, or medical purposes. These visitor visas are classified under two categories: the B-1 visa for business visitors, and the B-2 visa for tourists and general visitors.

B-1 Visa

B-1 visas are awarded to foreign nationals traveling to the U.S. for short business travel. Applicants of the B-1 visa are not permitted to seek or accept employment in the U.S., enroll in any course of study, or conduct work as a foreign media representative while in the U.S. B-1 visa holders are only eligible to reside in the U.S. for up to one year; however, they may extend their stay in six month increments after filing Form I-539, Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status.

B-2 Visa

B-2 visas are granted to foreign nationals who wish to travel to the U.S. for leisure or medical reasons. Holders of the B-2 visa are not permitted to accept or hold long-term employment in the U.S., but are allowed to enroll in recreational or educational programs for the course of their stay in the U.S. B-2 visas are only valid up to six months, and applicants must present evidence proving they do not intend to immigrate to the U.S. and they are able to return home after their stay. Individuals who qualify for the B-2 visa include tourists, artists or musicians receiving no payment, athletes receiving no payment, individuals attending social events, and individuals requiring specific medical treatment.

Alexandria, VA Waivers

Immigration waivers can be obtained by visa applicants who have designated as “inadmissible to the U.S.” by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Individuals can be deemed inadmissible due to health, fraudulent, criminal, or unlawful presence concerns. U.S. immigration law disallows immigrants deemed inadmissible from entering the U.S. However, there are inadmissible violations that can be waived with the help of an Alexandria, VA immigration attorney. For these violations to be waived, an individual must be granted a non-immigrant waiver. The two types of non-immigrant waivers include the I-601 Hardship waiver and the I-601A Provisional waiver.

I-601 Hardship Waiver

an Alexandria, VA immigration attorney signing an I-601 hardship waiver for a clientI-601 Hardship waivers are granted to illegal aliens who are able to prove their family would be under extreme hardship as a result of deportation or denial of waiver. Individuals can also prove that his or her conditions are deemed admissible by the USCIS if their waiver were to be accepted. The I-601 waiver is broken into three categories which are commonly used in immigration cases. These include the Criminal Conviction waiver, the Misrepresentation (Fraud) waiver, and the Unlawful Presence waiver. Relatives of these waiver applicants must meet specific requirements and qualifications under each category, and must also be able to provide evidence of extreme hardship upon deportation.

I-601 A Provisional Waiver

I-601A Provisional waivers are granted to individuals who have illegally entered the U.S. and have been deported back to their home country. These individuals are generally banned from legal return to the U.S. for 3 to 10 years. To help overcome a designation of unlawful presence by the USCIS, the I-601A waiver can help the individual avoid being barred from entry fo the entire 3 to 10-year period. The I-601A waiver will lessen the time an immigrant will be separated from their family living in the U.S. legally or illegally. This provisional waiver can sometimes be more effective than the I-601 Hardship waiver since an immigrant can be waived of their inadmissibility faster. Similar to the I-601 waiver, a relative of an I-601A waiver applicant who wishes to legally stay in the U.S. must prove that their family would suffer from extreme hardship if they were to be deported back to their home country.

Contact the Alexandria, VA Immigration Attorneys at Johnson & Masumi

If you are currently residing legally or illegally in Alexandria, or wish to travel or move to the area, contact the Alexandria, VA immigration attorneys at Johnson & Masumi, P.C. Attempting to navigate the visa application process without proper consultation from an immigration attorney can be especially difficult. Our immigration attorneys are experienced in all aspects of immigration law and will guide you every step of the way during the application process. We will review your visa requirements and assist you with obtaining required documentation and proof in order to qualify you for your desired visa or immigration waiver. Regardless of your immigrant or international status, our Alexandria, VA immigration attorneys are ready to successfully manage your unique case. Call the offices at Johnson & Masumi, P.C. at tel:(703) 783-0082 or schedule a consultation online today to get started with your visa application.

Related Posts
  • Fairfax, VA Immigration Attorney Read More
  • Centreville, VA Immigration Attorney Read More
  • Reston, VA Immigration Attorney Read More