Annandale, VA Immigration Attorney

Green Spring Gardens landmark in Annandale, VAJohnson & Masumi P.C., an Annandale Virginia Immigration law firm, has practiced immigration law for over 30 years. Randall Lee Johnson founded the firm originally under the name Johnson & Associates. Mr. Johnson graduated from the Moritz school of Law at Ohio State University in 1973, and remained in Ohio to practice law until 1986. After moving to Virginia, Mr. Johnson became focused primarily on immigration law, and in 1990 began to practice law in the United States Supreme Court.

Mr. Johnson has dedicated his law practice towards helping immigrant families with their immigration rights, and values the ideals of democracy, liberty, justice for all immigrants. For many years, Mr. Johnson has assisted over 5,000 clients from various countries across the globe, helping them to realize their dreams of working working and residing in the United States. Mr. Johnson believes that compassionate, personalized service to his clients is what has made his career all the more purposeful. These core beliefs are the foundation of Johnson & Masumi P.C. After retiring from law practice, Mr. Johnson has welcomed Senior Staff attorney Ms. Mariam Masumi Daud as the Principal Attorney of Johnson & Masumi P.C.

Annandale, VA Immigration Visas

an immigration visa obtained through an Annandale, VA immigration attorneyThe law offices of Johnson & Masumi P.C. practices immigration law in Annandale, VA to assist non-residents with a broad range of immigration visas and services. These visas are tailored for employment, foreign national fiancés who wish to marry a U.S. citizen, student visas for international students wishing to study in the U.S., and visitor visas for foreign nationals traveling to the United States. We also provide counsel for immigrants who have been designated as being inadmissible for travel to the U.S. by guiding them through the immigration waiver process.

Annandale, VA Employment Visas

Employment visas allow foreign nationals living in Annandale, VA or who wish to reside in Annandale to apply for and secure employment and residence in the U.S. for the duration of their visa. Once their employment visa is approved, applicants can transform their status to that of legal immigrants with the help of their potential employer. These visas include: A visas, EB visas, the H1-B visa, among others.


A visas are awarded to non-immigrant diplomatic officials who wish to live and travel in the U.S. There are different categories of A-visas, which include the A-1, A-2, and A-3 visa designations. A-1 visas are awarded to public ministers, diplomats, and consular offices. A-2 visas are given to officials who are honored by the U.S. Secretary of State, as well as international military officials. Both the A-1 and A-2 visas allow for family members, employees and other officials of those issued to be accepted under A-3 status.

EB-1 Visa

EB visas are issued to foreign nationals who wish to be employed in the U.S. and obtain a U.S. green card as a permanent resident. The EB-1 visa, also known as a First Preference Visa, is issued to workers who are recognized as possessing high aptitudes and extraordinary abilities. There are three separate categories for EB-1 visas: EB-1A, EB-2A and EB-3A. It is much easier for these applicants to obtain a green card than others.

EB-2 Visa

business people working at a company that hires individuals with employment-based visasEB-2 visas are employment visas that allows non U.S. residents with advanced degrees or other exceptional abilities to live and work as a permanent resident. These also are separated into three categories similar to the EB-1 visa.

EB-3 Visa

EB-3 visas allow foreign nationals to are classified into a broader range of careers to obtain permanent residency. Applicants are separated into three subcategories for the EB-3 visa, which are: Professional Workers, Skilled Workers and Unskilled Workers. EB-3 visa applicants are required to possess a permanent full time job to be granted residency.

EB-4 Visa

EB-4 visas are reserved for Special Immigrant Religious Workers. This “fourth preference” visa only allows those who are religious leaders and occupants to live and work in the U.S. under religious institutions and tax-exempt non-profit faith organizations.

EB-5 Visa

The EB-5 visa is currently one of the most sought after employment visas by wealthy Indian investors. EB-5 visas are issued under the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program and is reserved only for foreign nationals who are required to make a minimum investment of over $500,000 or $1,000,000 into an EB-5 Regional Center or a New Commercial Enterprise. Investors are required to create at least 10 full-time jobs for a minimum of two years in order to receive permanent Green Card residency.

H-1B Visa

An H-1B visa is granted to immigrant non-residents who wish to be employed in the U.S. by domestic organizations that have open positions in specialty occupations. These occupations are categorized into specialty fields such as: architecture, accounting, engineering, mathematics, medicine, science and technology. Applicants must hold at the minimum a bachelor’s degree. The H-1B visa expedites the process for applicants to obtain a green card due to this visa being a non-immigrant visa. Employers who wish to hire these visa applicants must petition on their behalf for applicants to be granted an H-1B visa. There is, however, a growing cap on the number of H-1B visas that restricts the number of applicants admitted as employees in the U.S., making it more difficult to obtain.

Annandale, VA Fiancé Visas

rings and a bouquet of flowers to symbolize an Annandale, VA weddingK-visas, commonly referred to as fiancé visas, are granted to foreign nationals who aspire to marry a U.S. citizen, or any foreign children. There are three classifications for K-visas. A foreign national fiancé can be admitted to the U.S. under K-1, K-2 or K-3 visa status.

K-1 Visa

The K-1 visa requires that a foreign national fiancé enter the U.S. within 6 months of being awarded K-1 status. They must be legally married to their fiancé, who acts as their petitioner on their behalf, within 3 months of arriving in the U.S. Should they choose to marry a different individual, they must return to their home country. The fiancé of the U.S. resident also must provide additional pieces of evidence related to their marriage to be admitted, along with adhering to other K-1 visa restrictions.

K-2 Visa

K-2 visas are awarded to children who are 20 years old or younger that are traveling with their parent who possesses a K-1 visa headed to the U.S. Children are required to be unmarried, but are not required to be biologically related to their fiancé parent. Parents must prove their relationship to their child, as well as provide evidence that they can financially support their child. K-2 visa holders are restricted to being allowed in the U.S. for a 90-day period.

K-3 & K-4 Visa

Once the fiancé of the U.S. resident has legally married, they are eligible for a K-3 visa. The U.S. resident spouse files a petition on their fiance’s behalf, and their children are allowed to live with them under a K-4 visa status. After obtaining a K-3 visa, these visa holders are officially allowed to reside in the U.S. The K-3 visa also allows for the visa holder to enter the U.S. multiple times. The K-3 visa is valid for two years, and after this required timeframe, the visa holder can apply for a green card and be closer to becoming a U.S. citizen.

Annandale, VA Student Visas

Foreign national students who wish to reside and teach, study, or work in the U.S. for an extended time period can apply for an F-1, J-1 or M-1 visa. Each visa has its own separate restrictions and qualifications that must be met to be granted admission into the country.

F-1 Visa

A foreign student who wishes to enroll in an approved U.S. university for full-time study is eligible for an F-1 visa status. This allows them to live and study in the U.S. for as long as it takes them to complete their studies. They are also permitted to work for a U.S. employer that will place them in a position that is consistent with their field of study. Students can receive Optional Practical Training with the help of a school official as well. To complete their application, students must file Form I-20 and complete an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate to discuss their educational plans and present their I-120 passport.

J-1 Visa

a J-1 visa student who acquired her visa through an Annandale, VA immigration attorneyJ-1 visas are awarded via the Exchange Visitor Program and foreign national students can obtain sponsorship for a longer stay in the U.S. to complete their study or employment. The exchange program allows foreign nationals to use a special skill to work or study as well. To receive a J-1 visa, applicants must prove their residence in their original country and do not plan on leaving their home country. Applicants must documentation to prove this claim, as well as produce a Certificate of Eligibility to be classified as an Exchange Visitor via Form DS-2019.

M-1 Visa

M-1 visas are issued to foreign nationals who wish to visit the U.S. for vocational or studies that are not academic. They may not be employed during their studies and must prove they are financially stable to support themselves. M-1 visa holders must also be enrolled in a course of study for a 12 semester period. Students may only apply if they meet the eligibility requirements of the school they wish to pursue their studies, among other requirements.

Annandale, VA Visitor Visas

B visas are given to foreign nationals who wish to travel for business or vacation in the U.S. These visitor visas are classified into Two categories: the B-1 and B-2 visa.

B-1 Visa

The B-1 visa is given for foreign nationals who are traveling to the U.S. on business travel for only a short period of time. Applicants must not intend to seek or accept employment, enroll in any course of study or conduct work as a foreign media representative while in the U.S. B-1 visa holders may only stay in the U.S. for up to one year, however they may extend their stay in six month increments after filing the appropriate paperwork.

B-2 Visa

B-2 visitor visas are awarded to those who wish to leisure travel in the U.S. Similar to the B-1 visa, B-2 visa holders are disallowed from holding long term employment, but may enroll in recreational or educational programs for a short period. B-2 visas are only valid for up to six months. Applicants must present documentation and evidence showing that they do not intend to immigrate to the U.S.

Annandale, VA Waivers

Immigration waivers can be obtained by visa applicants who have been designated by the USCIS as “inadmissible.” Individuals can be deemed inadmissible due to dangerous, high risk, or illegal violations, along with health, criminal, fraudulent or unlawful presence concerns. U.S. immigration law disallows inadmissible non-citizens from traveling to the U.S. There are, however, inadmissible violations that can be waived. In order for these violations to be waived, an individual must be granted a non-immigrant waiver. There are two types of non-immigrant waivers; the I-601 Hardship, and the I-601A Provisional Waiver.

I-601 Hardship Waiver

law books an a pen and paper owned by an Annandale, VA immigration attorney who is signing an I-601 waiverThe I-601 Hardship waiver is granted to undocumented immigrants who must prove that their family would be under extreme hardship if they were to be deported from the U.S. or if their waiver were to be denied, or the individual must show that his/her conditions are deemed acceptable by the USCIS. Within the I-601 Hardship waiver, there exists three categories that are commonly used in immigration cases, which include the: Criminal Conviction Waiver, Misrepresentation (Fraud) Waiver, and Unlawful Presence Waiver. Relatives must meet specific qualifications under each category.

I-601A Provisional Waiver

Those who have illegally entered the U.S. and have been deported back to their home country to begin the process of obtaining a legal immigration visa often face challenges. An individual can potentially be banned from legal return to the U.S. from 3 to 10 years. To help overcome an unlawful presence designation, the I-601A waiver can help an immigrant avoid the penalty of being barred from entry for the 3-10 year period. The I-601A waiver will lessen the time an immigrant will be separated from their family. The I-601A waiver can sometimes be more useful than the I-601 Hardship waiver because an immigrant can begin the application process after a brief separation from their family. Similarly to an I- 601 waiver, an immigrant must prove that their relative would suffer from extreme hardship if deported back to their home country.

Contact an Annandale, VA Immigration Attorney at Johnson & Masumi

If you are an individual who is currently legally or illegally residing in Annandale, Virginia, or wish to vacation or move to the Annandale area, contact the Annandale, VA immigration attorneys at Johnson & Masumi. Navigating the visa application process can be especially confusing without the proper consultation from an immigration attorney experienced in all facets of immigration law. We will guide you every step of the way to help you review your visa requirements and assist you in obtaining the required documentation and proof necessary to qualify your desired visa or immigration waiver. Regardless of your visitation or immigration status, the attorneys at Johnson & Masumi are ready to successfully manage your unique case. Schedule a consultation with us today online or call our offices at tel:(703) 783-0082 to get started.

Related Posts
  • Fairfax, VA Immigration Attorney Read More
  • Centreville, VA Immigration Attorney Read More
  • Reston, VA Immigration Attorney Read More