Chantilly, VA Immigration Attorney

Chantilly, VA Immigration Attorney

Johnson & Masumi P.C. has over 30 years of experience practicing immigration law in Chantilly, VA. Our firm was originally founded by Mr. Randall Lee Johnson as Johnson & Associates. After graduating from the Moritz School of Law at Ohio State University, Mr. Johnson later turned his focus towards practicing immigration law, having even served on the United States Supreme Court. He has dedicated his law practice towards serving immigrant families in Chantilly, VA and the greater Northern Virginia area to help fight for their immigration rights and immigration waiver requests.

Having assisted over 5,000 clients from a host of different countries, Mr. Johnson’s experience reflects the core values of Johnson & Masumi of compassionate and purposeful service to help clients realize their dreams of visiting and residing in the United States. He has now turned over his position and duties to Ms. Mariam Masumi Daud, the Principal Chantilly, VA immigration attorney at Johnson & Masumi P.C. She is ready and willing to assist non-residents in Chantilly, VA with all their documentation, filing, and other visa processes to help manage a successful case.

Chantilly, VA Immigration Visas

Johnson & Masumi P.C. practices immigration law in Chantilly, VA for non U.S. residents who wish to travel to or live in the U.S. We specialize in providing expertise and case management for a wide range of immigration, visitor, employment, student and fiancé visas. Foreign nationals have the ability to be issued multiple types of visas to reside and/or work in the U.S. for a temporary period if they meet specific requirements to qualify. Oftentimes, our clients who successfully obtain certain types of visas will apply for a Green Card to officially live in the U.S. as a permanent resident. We also assist clients in handling immigration challenges if they have been deemed inadmissible by the USCIS by helping them acquire an immigration waiver that will allow them entry into the country. Trust the Chantilly, VA immigration attorneys at Johnson & Masumi to handle all your questions, concerns and visa applications.

Chantilly, VA Employment Visas

Employment visas allow foreign nationals living in Chantilly, VA to apply for residence and obtain employment for their allotted time granted in their visa. Once they have been approved to be employed, employment visa applicants can become legal immigrants. In certain cases, the visa applicant’s potential employer must petition the USCIS on their behalf. We assist our clients with applications for the following employment visas: A Visas, EB Visas, the H1-B visa, among others.


Diplomatic officials who wish to reside and travel in the U.S. are good candidates for an A visa. The three status categories of A visas are the A-1, A-2, and A-3. A-1 visas are granted to diplomats, foreign public ministers, and consular office officials. To qualify for an A-2 visa, an applicant must be honored by the U.S. Secretary of State, or currently serve as an international military official. Family members, employees or other associated officials of A-1 and A-2 visa holders are recognized under the A-3 visa status.

EB-1 Visa

The EB-1 Visa, separated into three categories, is known as the “First Preference Visa” because applicants who qualify are on a higher priority to obtain a green card visa. These are the EB-1A Extraordinary Abilities Visa, the EB-1B Outstanding Professors & Researchers Visa, and the EB-1C Executives & Managers Visa.

EB-2 Visa

Non-residents who hold advanced degrees or possess other exceptional skills can qualify for an EB-2 employment visa and obtain permanent residency. EB-2 visas have three separate categories similar to the EB-1 visa.

EB-3 Visa

EB-3 visas allow foreign nationals in a diverse range of careers who may not possess extraordinary abilities to secure permanent residency in the U.S. EB-3 visa applicants fall within three subcategories: Professional Workers, Skilled Workers, or Unskilled Workers. To be granted permanent residency, workers under the EB-3 visa must be employed full-time.

EB-4 Visa

EB-4 visas are granted to Special Immigrant Religious Workers. This type of visa is known as the “fourth preference” visa that only allows religious leaders or those working in religious occupations to be employed and reside in the U.S. Visa holders must work exclusively in religious institutions or for non-profit, tax-exempt religious organizations.

EB-5 Visa

The EB-5 visa is a highly sought after employment visa granted to those under the EB-5 Immigrant Investor program. Those who qualify must be foreign nationals who have the ability to make a minimum investment of $500,000 in a USCIS EB-5 Regional Center or $1,000,000 into a New Commercial Enterprise. Investors are required to create at least 10 full-time jobs for a minimum of two years as a product of their investment in order to obtain permanent residency under a green card status.

H-1B Visa

The H-1B visa is issued to foreign nationals who who are seeking employment in U.S. companies that are staffing positions for those in specialty occupations. Applicants in career fields such as those in: science, technology, mathematics, engineering, medicine, architecture or accounting are considered. Applicants are required to hold at least a bachelor’s degree in one of these fields. To be employed, applicants must have their potential employers petition on their behalf to the USCIS to be issued an H-1B visa. However, due to the new cap limit restrictions on the number of H1-B visas that are issued, this visa can be prove more difficult to obtain.

Chantilly, VA Fiancé Visas

K-visas, known as fiancé visas, are issued to foreign nationals that wish to marry their U.S. citizen fiancé, or any children of a U.S. citizen. K-visas fall under four classifications: K-1, K-2, K-3, and K-4 visa status.

K-1 Visa

To obtain a K-1 visa, the fiancé of a U.S. citizen must legally marry their fiancé within 3 months of arriving to the U.S. and enter the U.S. within six months of being granted the K-1 visa. If the applicant chooses to marry a different person, they are required to return to their home country to begin the process over. The fiancé must also show proof of additional evidence of their marriage to be granted a K-1 visa and adhere to the visa restrictions.

K-2 Visa

K-2 visas are granted to the unmarried children under the age of 20 who are traveling with their parent to the U.S. who holds K-1 visa status. Children are not required to be biologically related to their parent, however parents must provide evidence of their relationship to their child, as well evidence that suggests they are able to provide adequate financial support for their child. Children with K-2 visa status are only allowed to remain in the U.S. for up to 90 days.

K-3 and K-4 Visa

Fiancés of U.S. residents are eligible for a K-3 visa once they have legally married. The U.S. resident spouse must file a petition behalf of their fiancé, and when confirmed by the USCIS, their children are allowed to reside in the U.S. with their parents under K-4 visa status. A K-3 visa allows the visa holder to enter the U.S. on multiple different occasions. The K-3 visa is valid for up to 2 years, and after this time has elapsed, the visa holder is allowed to apply for a green card for permanent residency.

Chantilly, VA Student Visas

A foreign national student who wishes to study, teach or work in Chantilly, VA for an extended duration has the option of applying for an F-1, J-1, or M-1 visa. These student visas each come with their own different restrictions to obtain one, as well as a host of qualifications that must be met before a student is eligible to study in the U.S.

F-1 Visa

A foreign student who has aspirations to enroll in an accredited university in the U.S. to complete an extended duration of study can apply for an F-1 visa. This visa grants the student the ability to live and study in the U.S. for as long of a period as it takes for them to complete their course of study. The visa holder is also allowed to be employed in a position with a U.S. organization whose job responsibilities are consistent with their course of study. Students can supplement their studies with a program of Optional Practical Training under the supervision of a university official. In order to meet the F-1 visa requirements, a student must successfully file Form I-20, show proof of their I-120 passport and undergo an interview with a U.S. embassy or U.S. consulate official to discuss their educational goals.

J-1 Visa

Students from a foreign country can be granted a J-1 visa under the Exchange Visitor Program and receive sponsorship to complete their studies or temporary employment for a longer period of time. The J-1 visa exchange program allows students to be employed or study if they possess a qualified special skill(s). In order to be granted a J-1 visa, student applicants must prove they are a legal resident of their home country and demonstrate that they do not plan on immigrating to the U.S. after their J-1 visa status has expired. Student applicants must provide documentation to verify their plans and provide a Certificate of Eligibility by completing Form DS-2019 to be recognized as an Exchange Visitor.

M-1 Visa

A foreign national who intends to receive vocational training or complete a field of non-academic study in the U.S. can apply for an M-1 visa. Visa holders must enroll in a course of study for a period of 12 semesters. During their course of study, they are disallowed from being employed and must provide evidence of their financial stability that demonstrates their ability to fully support themselves financially. Students must meet the application requirements of the educational institution they intend on enrolling in to complete their studies, along with additional detailed requirements.

Chantilly, VA Visitor Visas

Foreign nationals who wish to travel to the U.S. on business or to vacation can apply for a B visa. B visas fall under two classifications: B-1 and B-2 visa status.

B-1 Visa

The B-1 visa is awarded to foreign national who are completing business travel in the U.S. for a brief time period. Those applying for the B-1 visa must have no intentions of seeking employment in the U.S., participating in any course of study, or acting as a foreign media employee. B-1 visa recipients may only reside in the U.S. for a period of up to one year, though they have the option applying for an extended stay for periods of six months after submitting the appropriate paperwork.

B-2 Visa

Similar to the B-1 visa, foreign nationals who wish to travel to the U.S. for leisure are permitted to obtain a B-2 visa provided that they do not intend on seeking long term employment, however they are eligible to enroll in courses of study or recreational programs for a short period of time. B-2 visas carry a validity of up to six months, and applicants are required to present evidence showing their intentions of remaining a non-immigrant.

Chantilly, VA Waivers

Visa applicants who have been deemed as “inadmissible” by the USCIS may qualify for an immigration waiver. This can be due to an individual being designated as high risk, dangerous or marked for violating their country’s laws. They may also have other fraudulent, health or unlawful presence concerns. These individuals are restricted from traveling to the U.S. Some inadmissible violations can be waived however. A non-citizen may be granted either an I-601 Hardship or I-601A Provisional Waiver.

I-601 Hardship Waiver

Non-citizens who can provide evidence that their family in the U.S. could suffer extreme hardship if they were removed from the country or denied a waiver may be eligible for an I-601 Hardship waiver. The 3 categories of the I-601 Hardship waiver are the: Criminal Conviction Waiver, Misrepresentation (Fraud) Waiver, Unlawful Presence Waiver. The relatives of the family member who is applying for the I-601 Hardship or Provisional Waiver must meet the requirements and qualifications of each waiver. Relatives must also be able to provide their own evidence of extreme hardship if they were to be removed from the U.S.

I-601A Provisional Waiver

Non-residents who have entered the U.S. illegally and were subsequently deported to their home country must restart their process of attempting to immigrate to the U.S. legally. These individuals are banned from returning to the U.S. from 3 to 10 years time. In order to return to the U.S. after being deemed inadmissible from unlawful presence, obtaining an I-601A Provisional Waiver can prevent an illegal immigrant from having to wait for the 3 to 10 year banned period to elapse by shortening the time they are banned from the country. The I-601A waiver can sometimes be a more expedient process than applying for an I-601 waiver since an individual can begin to apply soon after they have been deported. An illegal immigrant must be able to prove that their family would suffer extreme hardship if deported back to their home country or if the waiver were to be denied.

Contact The Chantilly, VA Immigration Attorneys At Johnson & Masumi

The Chantilly, VA immigration attorneys at Johnson & Masumi, P.C. are able to assist individuals who wish to visit, be employed in, or avoid deportation. Without the proper legal counsel, navigating the visa and waiver application process can be especially challenging and confusing. Our experienced immigration attorneys have the requisite experience and expertise in managing clients’ unique cases. We will help you through the process by reviewing your visa or waiver requirements and provide assistance in obtaining the proper documentation to prove your qualifications for your application. Trust the immigration attorneys at Johnson & Masumi to ensure you understand and are prepared for your visa or waiver application. Schedule a consultation today online or call us at (703) 688-8376 to begin your path to the United States!

Related Posts
  • Fairfax, VA Immigration Attorney Read More
  • Centreville, VA Immigration Attorney Read More
  • Reston, VA Immigration Attorney Read More