Tysons Corner, VA Immigration Attorney

Tysons Corner, VA Immigration Attorney

When you have a immigration issue, you need a Tysons Corner, VA immigration attorney who knows their stuff now. You likely don’t have time to sit around for them to research your case for days on end, let alone talk at length about immigration law jargon. That’s why the immigration attorneys and Johnson & Masumi pride themselves on doing the difficult work for our Tysons Corner, VA clients. We understand that immigration is a notoriously complex and stressful situation, so we work hard on our end to make the process as simple and straightforward as possible for you. Learn more about our attorneys and our services, and consider Johnson & Masumi for your immigration needs.

Johnson & Masumi traces its roots in 1973 when our founder, Mr. Randall Johnson started practicing law a small Ohio courthouse. A Moritz School of Law graduate, he grew his practice by consistently providing better than average legal services to people in need in central Ohio. 13 years later he moved to Fairfax County Virginia to become a member of the Virginia State Bar. Enjoying the intrinsic rewards of helping local immigrants, Mr. Johnson soon decided to practice primarily immigration law and worked tirelessly to establish a reputation for assisting various immigrant communities. Now, 30 years later, his mantras still ring true, and the company he created lives by the very same values: to deliver first-rate customer service while consistently achieving favorable results.

Tysons Corner, VA Immigration Visas

Johnson & Masumi has a long history of securing visas for our Tysons Corner, VA clients whether they are stationed in the U.S. or overseas. Moreover, we act as advocates for our clients, liaising with government agencies and gatekeeper alike to ensure that visa procurement runs as smoothly as possible. We offer assistance securing the following types of visas:

  • Employment-Based Visas (A Visas, EB 1-5, H-1B)
  • Fiancé/Family Visas (K-1, K-2, K-3)
  • Student Visas (F-1, J-1, M-1)
  • Visitor Visas (B-1, B-2)

Tysons Corner, VA Employment Visas

Learn more about the different types of visas our Johnson & Masumi attorneys have experience securing for our Tysons Corner, VA clients below:

A Visas

For ambassadors, ministers, diplomats, consular officers, and their immediate family members, A visas are the go-to visa who wish to travel to the United States. A-1 visas are only given to government officials, as they mandate that they recipient is traveling to the United States for government-related reasons. That said, individuals who receive A-1 visas are granted special privileges including the ability to stay a long as they like as well as not be tried for crimes in the United States.

EB-1 Visa

The EB-1 visa allows certain multinational individuals with extraordinary ability in science, art, education, business, or athletics to gain legal permanent residence in the US. For aliens with “extraordinary ability,” or who have contributed significantly to their field, be they are professor, researcher or executive, the EB-1 is the most straightforward way to obtain permanent U.S. residence.

To qualify, the applicant must show extensive documentation to demonstrate their proficiency, such as authorship of scholarly articles; evidence supporting internationally recognized prizes or awards; or proof of the alien’s original contributions of major significance to the field.

EB-2 Visa

One of the common ways in which educated foreign workers get employment-based green cards in the U.S. is utilizing an EB-2 visa. This is the second (out of five) preference categories of people who are eligible for green cards based on employment. EB-2 visa are granted to individuals who hold advanced post-graduate degrees or the equivalent experience.

Requirements for this type of visa include extensive documentation supporting your proficiency in the field of your choosing, as well as evidence documenting that U.S. employers are eager to hire persons with your skill set.

EB-3 Visa

The EB-3 visa is designed to allow foreign national workers to live and work permanently in the United States in situations where there are not sufficient U.S. workers available. The EB-3 visa is thus for “skilled workers and professionals” who possess expertise in specific field and how have found an employer sponsor to provide them a permanent job. In addition, the employer must also initiate the process of obtaining an approved certification of labor from the U.S. Department of Labor.

EB-4 Visa

The EB-4 visa for “special immigrants,” who do not fit into other EB visa categories. The USCIS grants these visas to recognize an individual’s faithful service to the U.S. and/or its institutions. You may be eligible for an employment-based, fourth preference visa if you are considered “special immigrant worker,” and currently hold a position as a religious worker, minister, broadcaster, armed forces religious member, translator or physician. Each of these categories comes with a separate set of requirements as to how the applicant must prove eligibility and ultimately apply.

EB-5 Visa

Are you a wealthy foreign investor eager to reside in the United States? You might be the ideal candidate for the EB-5 visa. The EB-5 is a United States visa program, created in 1990, that enables foreign investors to obtain a U.S. Visa by investing in a business that will benefit the U.S. economy and create jobs. The investment (EB-5) immigration program provides two ways for wealthy people to get green cards: the Individual Direct Investment and the Regional Center Investment.

The Individual Direct Investment option means the money goes to one entity, or business. This business has to then create ten jobs within two years using the money you invested. Regional Center Investments allow you to work with organizations that connect you to projects in the U.S. to invest in. Moreover, there also many other standards the business has to meet as well an minimum investment requirements.

H-1B Visa

The H-1B visa is a temporary (nonimmigrant) visa category that allows employers to petition for highly educated foreign professionals to work in “specialty occupations” that require at least a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent. Jobs in fields such as mathematics, engineering, and technology often qualify. Furthermore, the applicants future employer must file a petition with USCIS to ensure that hiring the foreign worker will not harm U.S. workers.

Note: Over the past several years, the USCIS has placed an annual cap on how many H-1B visas are approved. An experienced Tysons Corner, VA immigration attorney at Johnson & Masumi can ensure you are one of the applicants who get it.

Tysons Corner, VA Fiancé Visas

For Tysons Corner, VA based U.S. citizens who wish to marry a foreign national, Johnson & Masumi offers services in all three fiancé/family-related visa categories (K-1, K-2 & K-3). Be aware: these K-visas each distinct legal filing requirements, and it is therefore recommended to work with a Tysons Corner, VA immigration attorney who can guide you and your fiancé throughout this process.

K-1 Visa

If you are a U.S. citizen who wants to bring your foreign fiancé(e) to the United States in order to get married, you can do so by obtaining a K-1 visa for your fiancé(e). Otherwise known as the fiancé visa, the K-1 visa requires that the couple must intend to marry each other within 90 days of the foreign fiancé(e) entering the U.S. as a K-1 nonimmigrant.

Moreover, the marriage must be valid, meaning both you and your fiancé(e) intend to establish a life together and that the marriage is not for the sole purpose of obtaining an immigration benefit. Fiancé's who are admitted as a K-1 immigrant may apply for lawful permanent resident status in the United States (a Green Card) after marriage.

K-2 Visa

K-2 visa grants the child(ren) of a K-1 fiancé visa holder permission to enter into the United States until an immigrant visa is available for them. Eligibility requirements mandate that the applicant(s) must be under the age of 21 and be an unmarried child of the K-1 applicant. Children of a fiancé(e) have the opportunity to be granted a K-2 visa from his/her parent’s fiancé(e) petition.

K-3 and K-4 Visa

The K-3 visa allows the spouse of a U.S. citizen to enter the United States with a temporary legal status while waiting to obtain a green card. This is designed for immigrants who are already legally married to a U.S. citizen but who have not yet applied for permanent residence.

Tysons Corner, VA Student Visas

The USCIS offers student visas for foreign national students who intend to continue their education and potentially work in Tysons Corner, VA. Each of the following student visas carries its own special requirements and restrictions that must be adhered to in order to be admitted into the U.S. Read more about each type of student visa below:

F-1 Visa

Also known as a student visa, an F-1 visa is for international students who want to take advantage of educational programs and academic institutions in the United States. The U.S. Department of State issues these visas, which allow qualified students to enroll in full-time study and participate in limited work opportunities. This type of visa is important because it grants official permission for holders to stay in the United States for long periods and enroll in educational programs of their choice. F-1 visa recipients must take a full course load of credits to maintain a status of being enrolled as a full-time student among other requirements.

J-1 Visa

J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued by the United States to research scholars, professors and exchange visitors participating in programs that promote cultural exchange, especially to obtain medical or business training within the U.S. Intended for foreign nationals to gain skills in the U.S. to take back to their respective home countries J-1 visa immigrants must return home for at least two years before coming back to the U.S. To qualify, student nationals must be sponsored through an accredited Exchange Visitor Program that has been approved through the DOS (Department of State).

M-1 Visa

The M-1 visa is for non-academic or vocational studies, basically students who wish to pursue non-traditional education in the United States. M-1 visa holders for technical and vocational programs are not permitted to work during the course of their studies, and, as a result, must have evidence that sufficient funds are immediately available to pay all tuition and living costs for the entire period of their intended stay.

Tysons Corner, VA Visitor Visas

A visitor (B-1 or B-2) visa is a temporary, non-immigrant visa that allows you to visit the United States to conduct business, visit family and friends, vacation, or seek medical treatment. Read about both types of tourist visas below:

B-1 Visa

Are you a foreign national seeking to conduct business, negotiate a contract, or attend a business seminar in the United States? You’ll need a B-1 visa. B-1 visa are designed to allow non-immigrants temporary stay in the United State for business-related purposes only. Of course, because eligible visitors often want to extend their trip for vacation or to visit tourist attractions, B-1 visas are often issued alongside B-2 visas for legitimate business travelers.

B-2 Visa

B-2 visas are for travelers seeking tourism, medical care or for those visiting relatives in the United States. It is also used for visiting artists, musicians, or athletes, as well as individuals attending conventions, conferences, or similar social events. B-2 Tourist Visas do not allow the holder permission to work in the United States and require the tourist to return home after their approved stay period. Furthermore, because the can not take a job in the U.S., the must provide evidence that they have the adequate funds to cover all potential expenses before they travel to the United States.

Tysons Corner, VA Waivers

Immigration violations (such as staying in the U.S. unlawfully) can cause some immigrants to obtain the status of “inadmissibility,” whereby they are not allowed to enter the United States. An Immigration waiver, in contrast, is a “pardon” for a specific immigration violation, allowing them to avoid the bars that come from having their “in-admissible” status and remain in the U.S. There are two primary types of waivers of inadmissibility: the I-601 and the I-601A Waiver. Learn more about them below:

I-601 Hardship Waiver

For persons who have entered the United States illegally or who have accrued unlawful presence after having overstayed their visa, the possibility of obtaining lawful permanent residence (a green card) is very limited. Unlawful presence is a considered a very serious immigration offense that is subject to punishment. As a result, undocumented immigrants who accrue unlawful presence in the United States, and who leave the country are often subject to multi-year bars based on the amount of time they have accrue unlawful presence.

With an I-601 hardship waiver, certain foreign citizens who are currently ineligible to immigrate to the United States because they are “inadmissible” can request a waiver (forgiveness) of inadmissibility if they can prove that leaving the U.S. will cause their family “significant hardship.” The professional attorneys at Johnson & Masumi will work with you to ensure you have all the necessary documents to support you case.

I-601A Provisional Waiver

Many people unlawfully enter the United States each year. Unfortunately, due to current immigration laws, this requires that they must return to their home country first, before they can re-enter the US legally to retrieve a green card. Moreover, when someone lives in the United States unlawfully for several years and then exits the US, they trigger either a 3 or a 10 year bar in returning to the United States, depending on their circumstances. The I-601A provisional waiver is a waiver given to undocumented immigrants who can demonstrate that their US citizen spouse or parent will suffer extreme hardship if their visa application is not granted.

Contact a Tysons Corner, VA Immigration Attorney Today

Applying for visas and waivers is no easy task. Between the multiple forms required, supplemental materials, fees, filing guidelines and deadlines, the process can seem daunting. Add to that the complex list of steps, interviews, and eligibility requirements, and the task of applying seems like an almost impossible operation. Fortunately, the immigration attorneys at Johnson & Masumi have over 30 years of experience securing visas and waivers for our clients. An experienced Tysons Corner, VA immigration attorney can walk you through the process and ensure that you tick off all the required steps.

Contact Johnson & Masumi today to begin the process of securing a visa or waiver or schedule a consultation for a comprehensive evaluation regarding your unique immigration case.

Related Posts
  • Fairfax, VA Immigration Attorney Read More
  • Centreville, VA Immigration Attorney Read More
  • Reston, VA Immigration Attorney Read More