Employment Visas
Traditional Representation
with Modern Values

Annandale Employment Visa Attorneys

Comprehensive Visa Assistance in Washington, D.C.

There are several types of visas that allow people from foreign countries to live and work in the United States. In most cases, an applicant must secure an applicable offer of employment from a U.S.-based employer to obtain one of these visas. Employment visas can be granted to people who are living outside the U.S. as well as people currently in the country who hope to adjust their legal immigration status.

If you are looking to find work or advance your career in the United States, our Annandale employment visa lawyers can help you explore all of your options. Our team at Johnson & Masumi has served thousands of clients and is extensively familiar with a wide spectrum of employment visas. We are not afraid of complex cases and will work to identify solutions that will help you achieve your immigration goals.

Put decades of collective legal experience on your side. Discuss your employment visa options with our team by calling (703) 783-0082 or contacting us online.

Employment-Based Green Cards

U.S.-based employers can sponsor prospective foreign workers for green cards, which confer lawful permanent residency, if they fill permanent positions and obtain labor certifications. Five tiers of employment visas are issued each year, and each tier has its own criteria that applicants must meet in order to qualify.

EB-1 visas have three sub-tiers and typically apply to people who are recognized as industry leaders, accomplished experts, or highly skilled professors. EB-2 visas are designed for people with advanced degrees and specialized skills. EB-3 visas are largely intended for professionals with bachelor’s degrees, while EB-4 visas are issued to certain religious workers and immigrants in miscellaneous Special Immigrant categories. EB-5 visas can be obtained by investors who measurably improve the U.S. economy through job creation. 

Some of these visas, such as the EB-2 visa, require sponsorship from a U.S.-based employer, while others do not. Our Annandale employment visa attorneys can determine which of these immigrant visas is right for you.

A Visas

A visas enable foreign diplomats, officials, government employees, their staff, and their families to travel to and conduct official business in the United States. Work facilitated by A visas must be performed on behalf of the visa recipient’s home country. 

The A-1 visa is specifically for dignitaries and government representatives, including delegates, ambassadors, consuls, heads of state, and other diplomatic officials. Immediate relatives of A-1 recipients are also eligible to travel to the U.S. on this visa.

The A-2 visa applies to all other types of foreign government employees who intend to conduct business on behalf of their home country in the United States. This typically includes people who are employed at embassies, consulates, or military bases. The A-3 visa covers personal employees of A-1 and A-2 visa recipients. 

An A visa can generally only be obtained through the mutual cooperation of the United States and the applicant’s home country. These visas last for up to three years and can sometimes be renewed.

TN Visas

TN visas can be issued to individuals who currently live in Mexico or Canada and plan to move to the U.S. to perform specific services. Eligible applicants must work in professions or possess special skills that meet the professional requirements listed on Schedule 2 of NAFTA. These visas are valid for a maximum of three years but can be extended for additional three-year increments. TN visas may also be used to extend H-1 and L visas.

E-2 Visas

The E-2 visa allows treaty investors can qualify to temporarily live and work in the United States to support a business they have invested in. To be eligible for this visa, an applicant’s home country must maintain a trade treaty with the United States. An applicant must then make a qualifying investment in a U.S.-based enterprise and intend to come to the country to support that investment. 

Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 can accompany E-2 visa recipients to the United States. Spouses will also generally qualify for work authorizations while in the country on this visa.

The E-2 visa is in many ways similar to the EB-5 visa but is not a green card and therefore does not confer lawful permanent residency. However, the E-2 visa can facilitate indefinite stays in the U.S., as the visa can be renewed an unlimited number of times so long as certain qualifications are met. Consequently, this visa can be a great choice for people who wish to semi-permanently live in the country but do not wish to become lawful permanent residents or citizens. 

H Visas

Four types of H visas are potentially available to foreign nationals. All employment visa requests must be filed with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and each visa type has its own application and distinct eligibility requirements. 

The H-1B visa covers temporary workers pursuing what is classified as “specialty occupations.” People who qualify for these visas typically have higher levels of education and specialized training. Only 65,000 H-1B visas are issued each year, and the process for obtaining one can be extremely competitive.

H-2A and H-2B visas apply to workers who take seasonal, temporary jobs in various industries, including agriculture. The H-2A visa is specifically intended for agricultural workers, while the H-2B visa covers all other seasonal and temporary positions.

People pursuing special training in the U.S. – excluding graduate medical education or training – can apply for the H-3 visa. This type of visa must be used to facilitate education or training that is not available in the applicant’s home country.

The H-4 visa can be used by spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 of other H visa recipients, particularly those who obtain H-1B visas. H-4 visa recipients face certain work restrictions while present in the United States, but they can convert their status to other types of visas – including those that do allow employment authorizations – if they qualify for those benefits later on in their stay. 

L Visas

L visas allow recipients to live and work in the United States for an extended period of time, making them highly desirable amongst eligible professionals. Three types of L visas are available. 

L-1A visas allow parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, or branches of companies based in the United States to transfer executives or managers from an overseas office to a U.S. location. This visa can also be used to transfer executives for the purpose of establishing an office in the U.S. if one does not already exist. The business must be functional during the visa recipient’s stay in the country, and applicants must submit evidence that sufficient office space has been secured.  

Employees traveling under an L-1A visa must have worked for their sponsoring employer for at least one of the preceding three years, and the U.S.-based office must be able to support an executive employee within one year of the visa’s approval. Recipients of this visa are generally approved to stay in the U.S. for an initial period of three years, and a limited number of renewals are sometimes available.

L-1B visas are similar to L-1A visas in that they can be used to transfer an employee to a location in the U.S. or to establish an office in the country. While L-1A visas are intended for executives and managers, L-1B visas cover employees with specialized knowledge. The sponsoring employer must prove that a prospective transferee’s specialized knowledge requires them to be in the U.S. for an extended amount of time. They must also prove the company will provide services or produce and sell products.

Like with the L-1A visa, L-1B visa applicants must have worked for their sponsoring employee for at least one of the last three years. L-1B visas are valid for up to five years. 

L-2 visas allow spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 to accompany L-1 visa recipients to the United States. These visas remain valid for the same duration as the corresponding L-1 visa, and L-2 recipients can study and work while in the United States. L-2 visa holders may also be eligible to apply for lawful permanent resident status. 

O Visas

O-1 Visas are issued to individuals with extraordinary or outstanding skills in specific fields. The O-1A visa is given to accomplished professionals in the sciences, education, business, or athletics fields, while the O-1B visa covers professionals in the film and television industries. 

O-2 visas allow support teams to accompany O-1 visa recipients to the United States. O-2 visa recipients must either help O-1 visa holders complete their work or offer specialized skills or knowledge that is not available in the U.S. O-3 visas permit spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 of O-1 and O-2 visa holders to accompany their family members to the country.

Contact us online or call 703-783-0082
to request a consultation.
Client Testimonials

We take our clients' cases seriously. Learn how we have helped people in the past.

    Mariam is a caring lawyer, she was able to handle my case with professionalism despite the short deadline to reply back to USCIS. She is really confident about her job and will take extra steps to make sure things go as planned.

    - S.S.

    I am now a free man and will get my Green Card back soon. None of this would have been possible without Mariam and her firm. Words can't describe how grateful I am to her and if you're reading this look no further!

    - Aimal M.

    The diligence of Mariam, making sure we had everything that could possibly be needed even when sometimes I felt it was too much. The team definitely kept me having hope but always kept things realistic and gave me realistic expectations.

    - Oshoke E.

    Mariam Masumi helped my wife get her case approved and I am thankful for her hard work. She is a very knowledgeable and experienced lawyer.

    - Ali R.

    After working with them for less than 6 months, I received approvals for my employment authorization, waiver of inadmissibility, and finally my permanent resident card.

    - Marie A.

Speak to an Experienced Immigration Attorney

Applying for an employment visa may not be as straightforward as you would expect. Our Annandale employment visa lawyers are familiar with many of the hurdles immigrants routinely face when seeking these visas can advise you throughout the application process. Johnson & Masumi is a full-service immigration law firm, and our team can also help with other types of benefits, including student visas, fiancé visas, naturalization, and more. 

We offer our legal services in English, Spanish, Chinese, and Farsi. Contact us online or call (703) 783-0082 to start exploring your visa options with us!


  • We Tackle the Most Complex Immigration Cases
  • We are a Full-Service Boutique Immigration Law Firm
  • We Have Served Thousands of Clients Nationwide
  • We Have Been in Business Since 1986
Smart Strategies. Favorable Results.

Call us at (703) 783-0082 or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation.

Our location & Address
Book a Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.