U Visas
Traditional Representation
with Modern Values

U-Visas Attorneys in Annandale

Victims Of Criminal Activity

Nonimmigrant U Status

The U nonimmigrant visa is designated for victims of certain crimes who may have suffered physical and mental abuse. These victims must also have aided government officials or law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of criminals. In 2000, U-visas were created along with the passing of the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act.

The legislation helped better serve the victims of such crimes while also strengthening law enforcement’s ability to prosecute cases of sexual assault, domestic violence, and trafficking of aliens. As with asylum visas, U-visas have strict eligibility requirements.

You may be eligible for U-status if:

  • You are found to be the victim of a qualifying crime
  • You have suffered mental or physical abuse due to this crime
  • You possess information about the crime (or have a parent, guardian, or friend who may provide information on your behalf if you are under 16 or have a disability)
  • You were deemed successful in helping law enforcement in the investigation and prosecution of a crime
  • The crime broke U.S. laws or occurred in the U.S.
  • You are admissible to the United States or have applied for a waiver if non-admissible

To be eligible for a U-visa, the crime committed must qualify under specific guidelines. Some of the most common qualifying criminal activities include abduction, extortion, blackmail, hostage, murder, kidnapping, false imprisonment, domestic violence, obstruction of justice, perjury, rape, prostitution, and sexual abuse.

Also considered a qualifying criminal activity is sexual exploitation, stalking, slave trade, trafficking, torture, witness tampering, female genital mutilation, abusive sexual contact, fraud in foreign labor contracting, peonage, involuntary servitude, incest, manslaughter, felonious assault, and unlawful criminal restraint.

If you believe that you meet the eligibility requirements for a U-visa, you can apply for U nonimmigrant status if you are living in the U.S., as well as if you are living outside the U.S.

Contact us online or call us at (703) 783-0082 to get started on your immigration case.
Client Testimonials

We take our clients' cases seriously. Learn how we have helped people in the past.

    Mariam is a caring lawyer, she was able to handle my case with professionalism despite the short deadline to reply back to USCIS. She is really confident about her job and will take extra steps to make sure things go as planned.

    - S.S.

    I am now a free man and will get my Green Card back soon. None of this would have been possible without Mariam and her firm. Words can't describe how grateful I am to her and if you're reading this look no further!

    - Aimal M.

    The diligence of Mariam, making sure we had everything that could possibly be needed even when sometimes I felt it was too much. The team definitely kept me having hope but always kept things realistic and gave me realistic expectations.

    - Oshoke E.

    Mariam Masumi helped my wife get her case approved and I am thankful for her hard work. She is a very knowledgeable and experienced lawyer.

    - Ali R.

    After working with them for less than 6 months, I received approvals for my employment authorization, waiver of inadmissibility, and finally my permanent resident card.

    - Marie A.

U-1 Visas

U-1 visas are for individuals who qualify as crime victims and fit other criteria. U-visa holders have legal status in the U.S., can receive employment authorization, and may have the opportunity to pursue citizenship. To petition for U nonimmigrant status, you must submit Form I-918 (Petition for U Nonimmigrant Status) and Supplement B, U Nonimmigrant Status Certification. You must also provide a personal statement describing the criminal activity and any evidence that supports eligibility requirements.

U-2 Visas

U-2 visas are designated for spouses of U-1 applicants. If you are a spouse of a victim of crime, such as domestic abuse, rape, or torture, you may be suitable for U-2 status. To obtain a U derivative visa, the U-visa principal must petition on the behalf of his or her qualifying spouse.

U-3 Visas

U-3 visas are designated for children of U-1 applicants. Children of a U-1 visa holder may qualify for a U-3 visa if the U-1 visa holder is at least 21 years of age. U-3 visa holders are able to apply for permanent residency after three years of U visa nonimmigrant status.

U-4 Visas

U-4 visas are suitable for parents of U-1 applicants who are children. This includes parents of U-1 holders who are under 21 years of age.

  • We Tackle the Most Complex Immigration Cases
  • We are a Full-Service Boutique Immigration Law Firm
  • We Have Served Thousands of Clients Nationwide
  • We Have Been in Business Since 1986
Smart Strategies. Favorable Results.

Fill out the form below or call 703-783-0082 to book a consultation.

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.